Header

To enter our monthly Jewelry Design Challenges Click here! To see the current calendar of events for SRAJD Click here!

To join our Facebook Discussion Group Click here! Check out our current SRAJD Gift Guide

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Announcing the Winner for Geometric Theme Jewelry Designs



I’d like to thank everyone who participated in the first month of SRAJD challenges.  The results for the geometry-themed March challenges can be seen here:


The administrative staff at SRAJD selected one overall winner for March.  This person’s designs were chosen as best exemplifying the challenge themes.

Congratulations Nohline L'Ecuyer of Nohline L'Ecuyer!

These were Nohline's entries for the weekly challenges:

Square

Circle

Triangle

Lines

We thought it would be nice to get to know a little bit more about Nohline so I asked her some questions…

What prompts you to embrace the SRAJD jewelry-making challenges?

I love the challenge of designing for a specific theme.  I also like to challenge myself to learn some new technique, and of course having a deadline keeps me on track.

How did you learn your craft?

From a young age I have always been compelled to be creative.  When I came to the States in 1988 and discovered the community college system and saw how cheap it was, I dove in head first into the art department.  Oil painting, pottery, printing did not fit my groove, but I fell in love with the jewelry fabrication department.  I took classes from Christine Smith for 4 years.  I also love the engineering side to the construction of a piece; working out the mechanics to make sure it fits and lies properly.  That's always fun.

What do you think is the most interesting thing about your creative expression?

I believe it is the simplicity and sometimes the offbeat colors I like putting together.  I believe that there is always an underlying little bit of Africa in each piece I make.

What themes do you pursue?

I love repetition in patterns; in color and in nature.   I tend to be a bit of a minimalist and try to make simple, elegant jewelry that can be worn anywhere.

Did you always want to be a jewelry artist?

No, not really.  When I finished high school I wanted to be a fashion designer.  There was a private school in town, but it was very expensive and my Dad didn't think it was a great future.  So I went to business school instead.  After moving to the United States, I took a silver-smithing class which rejuvenated my artistic juices.   However,   I took a break for 12 years to raise my son and then  4 or 5  years ago I discovered lampwork beads.  I started taking lampwork classes and fell in love with jewelry again.  It has led me back to jewelry and my silver-smithing knowledge.  I am now a member of the Metal Arts Society of Southern California and learn so much from the courses they offer.

What are the biggest challenges that you face as a self-representing jewelry artist?

Self-confidence.  It takes a lot of courage to put your work out there.  I am still rather shy about posting what  I make.  But I realize that in order to create a reputation you have to put your feelings aside and go for it.  The more exposure you get, the more your "name" will become known.  I'm working on it.

What role does the artist have in society?

In the world today, we have become accustomed to perfect mass produced throw away goods.  The artist’s role is to bring us back to our roots and create for the soul.  Art should be cherished and prized for its individuality and creativeness.   The artist’s role in society is more important today than it ever has been and I think there will always be an appreciative market for truly handmade.

How has your art change over time?

It is still evolving.  I don't think I have yet found my voice.  However, that being said, I am not really trying to say anything either.  I just make what comes to mind and that is sometimes dictated by the materials on hand or colors or the seasons.  

What does the future hold for Nohline?

I'm not sure.  I enjoy making my art.  I will hopefully have more time shortly and my dearest wish is to get my supplies properly organized so that I am not spread out all over the place.  I so several shows a year and have been invited to do some of the bigger shows.  However, I do not want this to become a fulltime job where I lose my passion and creativity.

Nohline, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.  It’s an immense pleasure seeing your work and getting to know you better!

See more of Nohline's fabulous jewelry (she makes the lampwork beads and many of her finding components too!) here: http://nohline.com/  

 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: