Header

To enter our monthly Jewelry Design Challenges Click here! To see the current calendar of events for SRAJD Click here!

To join our Facebook Discussion Group Click here! Check out our current SRAJD Gift Guide

Friday, December 12, 2014

Announcing the Winner for Media-Inspired Iconic Eras Theme Jewelry Designs (October 2014)

I’d like to thank everyone who participated in October 2014 SRAJD challenges. The results for the Media-Inspired Iconic Eras themed challenges can be seen here:

Downton Abbey (Edwardian Style)
Road Warrior (Post-Apocalyptic Style)
Lord of the Rings (Medieval or Fairy Style)
THX1138 (Futuristic Minimalist Style)

The administrative staff at SRAJD selected one overall winner for October. This person’s designs were chosen as best exemplifying the challenge themes.

Congratulations Kay Lancashire of Kay’s Artycles!

Here are Kay’s submissions:
 

Road Warrior (Post-Apocalyptic Style) 

Lord of the Rings (Medieval or Fairy Style)


We thought it would be nice to get to know a little bit more about Kay so I asked her some questions…

What prompts you to embrace the SRAJD jewelry-making challenges?

Well it's only been in the last couple of months that I've pushed myself to start creating again, I've been so busy running an online beading supplies business that I let it slide. But I'm closing it at the end of the month and I think finally having made the decision I let my hair down figuratively and just went for it, I'm hoping to do a lot more

How did you learn your craft?

I've accumulated my skills since my teens. Although I've learned a few of my techniques from some fabulous teachers, most of it is self taught, and trial and error.

What do you think is the most interesting thing about your creative expression?

I'm not 100% sure where it springs from. Sometimes I'm working in a fog. I have no clear idea of what I've done until about half way through. Other times I have a clear picture in my mind from the beginning.

What themes do you pursue?

Themes I pursue is a tricky one, I'd say historic, and nature, but then again it doesn't take much to inspire me to start playing around with my metal beads and wire

Did you always want to be a jewelry artist?

I'd say I've been creating wearable art for most of my adult life not just jewellery. I've been a jewellery artist since around 2002 and surprisingly that came out of necessity. I couldn't find work and the only thing I could think of doing was to make stuff. I went to charity shops and picked up bits and pieces and pulled them apart and remade them, went to recycle section of the tip(refuse dump) and got electrical wire which my husband stripped back and I'd sell the finished pieces at the local market, I had also pulled apart old clothing and sweaters and re-knitted wool etc. (hence the name 'Artycles') It was however the jewellery which sold the best so ended up sticking with that. I've pretty much been solely focused on jewellery design since then.

What are the biggest challenges that you face as a self-representing jewelry artist?
My biggest challenge has been time. I've not allowed enough (any) time for myself to create. (that, as I said earlier, has just changed thanks to my husband gently nudging me to get back into it)

What role does the artist have in society?

The role of the artist in society is a very important one I feel. There needs to be a balance in every part of nature as in society. The world needs the creativity and imaginative minds of artists to balance the logical and pragmatic minds. It's the "Yin and Yang" of roles in society.

How has your art changed over time?

My art has definitely changed over time. I have always been considered a bit 'different' I actually aim very hard for that individuality. I think in the past few years I've leaned more toward a raw hard and rough element, uncovering the beauty of the naturally occurring nature and so on. So if I'm working on a bead embroidery piece I try and mimic that nature or interpret what I see. With stones I choose the ones that are not necessarily 'pretty'. With metal it's not bright and shiny but dull and patinaed with age (or the effects of age created with a little help) I hope my art continues to change, I just don't know in which direction it's taking me

What does the future hold for you?

I am about to embark full time onto my jewellery art so it's exciting and scary.

Kay, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. It’s an immense pleasure seeing your work and getting to know you better!

See more of Kay’s fabulous jewelry here:
http://artycles.com.au/





 

1 comment:

touch of silver said...

What unique and creative pieces these are...so very different and each with their own appeal. Kay's range of artistic expression is broad, rich and delights the beholder. Congratulations Kay!!!