Header

To enter our monthly Jewelry Design Challenges Click here! To see the current calendar of events for SRAJD Click here!

To join our Facebook Discussion Group Click here! Check out our current SRAJD Gift Guide

Friday, November 7, 2014

Announcing the Winner of August’s SRAJD jewelry design challenge theme of “Concepts”

I’d like to thank everyone who participated in August. The results for the concepts themed challenges can be seen here:

Kintsugi
Recycling
Opposites
Communication

The administrative staff at SRAJD selected one overall winner for August. This person’s designs were chosen as best exemplifying the challenge themes.

Congratulations Laura Harrison Bosch of Multibeadia Designs!

Here were Laura’s entries for the challenges:

Kintsugi



Opposites 
 

We thought it would be nice to get to know a little bit more about Laura so I asked her some questions…

What prompts you to embrace the SRAJD jewelry-making challenges?

The challenges push my boundaries & comfort zone and that gets my creative juices going. We all have the same goal, but how we get there is very different. Give five designers the same materials to work with and you’ll get five totally different finished products. Love that!

How did you learn your craft?

I’m mostly self taught through books, trial & error, friends. I did go to Univ of Md, started as a studio art major but changed my major to Crafts. I never finished college, life got in the way. I’ve taken several beading classes but nothing long term. Now with so much to choose from on-line there are lots of classes I want to take.

What do you think is the most interesting thing about your creative expression? 


That I still have some! It’s uniquely my own. I’ve tried to imitate styles I like, it always feels & looks wrong. My work approach is more kinesthetic than planned, I often just go with how I feel about what I’m working on letting it take me to the finished piece.

What themes do you pursue? 


I’m all over the place, I don’t think I have any particular theme. That’s the theme – freedom to do what I want!

Did you always want to be a jewelry artist? 


I always wanted to be an artsy fartsy creative hippie. I had a teen-age/young adult dream to own a café/craft store/community gathering spot with my best friend. We still have it! This was in the ‘70s & there were a few stores like that. I was more into weaving, macrame, sewing at first. Somehow I found myself making jewelry in the early 90’s to now.

What are the biggest challenges that you face as a self-representing jewelry artist? 


Motivation & isolation are the two biggest challenges. I don’t have a dedicated work space either so it’s hard to get started.

What role does the artist have in society? 


I believe that visionaries whether they are artists, writers, inventors or politicians keep the world moving forward. And balance - there has to be creativity as well as technology. I don’t think there could be one without the other.

How has your art changed over time? 


What I use has changed – yarn, fabric, small table loom to beads, wire, metal, loom! Ha gotta have my loom. But the way I feel hasn’t, still with that kinesthetic approach.

What does the future hold for you? 


I wish I had a lot more future but being on the very low end of 60’s is just freaking me out! Time really does go way too fast. On the business side I can live just about anywhere & have my Ebay & Esty stores and website. We’re most likely moving to Albuquerque NM within the next 2 years. Colors, shapes, culture, people, weather, landscape will be very different from the East Coast/Wash DC area where I’ve lived my whole life. I imagine it will influence colors, textures maybe even what mediums I use. I’m keeping an open mind.

Laura, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. It’s an immense pleasure seeing your work and getting to know you better!

See more of Laura’s fabulous jewelry here: http://multibeadiadesigns.com





 




3 comments:

Laura Bosch said...

Thanks Laura Bracken! Not only do the designs push my brain & fingers, the interview questions did too!

Tammy Adams said...

Congratulations, Laura. Wonderful work. I look forward to seeing how the colors and shapes of your designs evolve, especially after your move to the southwest.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Very fine work Sherri!